Curried Tofu Scramble—a spicy variation on my Homestead Tofu Breakfast Scramble 🌶
Two things I love:
This simple recipe incorporates both of these super foods with a delicious, slightly spicy natural curry powder to give a flavorful breakfast or lunch dish.
I like it for breakfast for a low-carb, protein-rich meal. The addition of kale provides phytonutrients that are so healthy for us!
Kale Health Benefits, Nutrition Facts and How to Prepare, from Dr Axe.com
The addition of turmeric makes it even more healthy! Turmeric is traditional in Indian cuisine, to give its characteristic bright yellow color and distinctive flavor. But it’s also so good for us!! I talked about some of its health benefits in my post on Plant Based Golden Milk, which uses turmeric medicinally.
Turmeric, from NutritionFacts.org. Note that there are over fifty videos on or including turmeric!
Daily Dozen for Optimal Health
Just to help us all out, 🥬 here 🥬 is a link to Dr Gregor’s Daily Dozen video of recommended foods to include every day for optimal health. Kale, turmeric, tofu, garlic/onions are all on that list! We can get so much packed into one dish, plus it tastes great and gives a lot of brain and body power for the day!
Dr Gregor also has a free app called Dr. Gregor’s Daily Dozen Checklist and is available on the App Store for iPhone or android. I have used it a little, and need to use it more to stay on track!
Anyway—you came for the recipe! Let’s get down to it!
Curried Tofu Scramble with Kale
- 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/2 bag Chopped Kale (about 4-6 cups)
- 2 14-oz blocks Extra-firm or Firm Tofu
- 1 T onion powder
- 1/2-1 T Natural Curry Powder
- 1/2-1 T Ground Turmeric (depending on taste—I use the full Tablespoon)
- 1/2 Tsp Celery Seed
- 1 Tsp ground Cumin
- Dash Cinnamon
- 2 Tsp Salt, I use Himalayan Pink Salt
- 3 Tbs Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Cayenne Pepper, optional
- Smoked Paprika, optional
- 1 Can cooked Garbanzos, optional
- Extra Olive oil for drizzling
- Sauté Olive oil, garlic, onions, and celery in a heavy, lidded skillet. Cook until almost tender.
- Add chopped Kale, replace lid, and cook over medium to soften kale leaves. Add a couple Tbs water if needed to steam and keep from sticking.
- When kale has wilted, add Tofu and Seasonings. Add Garbanzos if desired (drained). Mix well and cook over medium-high heat.
You want to blend the flavors and cook the water off the tofu. Continue to stir frequently with a spatula until most of the liquid is absorbed. Cook a bit longer to start to brown the tofu.
- Done when tofu has dried out and is lightly browned.
- Serve warm with garbanzos, a sprinkle of smoked Paprika, a drizzle of olive oil, and a dash of Cayenne, if you dare!
Serve when golden brown. Sprinkle with cooked garbanzos, smoked paprika, and a dash of cayenne, if you’re brave enough! 🌶
In case you’re wondering, the only reason I don’t add the garbanzos to the whole mixture is because I have one particular teenager who hates garbanzos! Otherwise, we’d all be enjoying the curried tofu with garbanzos!
The Curry powder I use is from our local bulk foods store, Yoder’s. Here is their Trip Adviser Profile. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g54925-d8491307-Reviews-Yoder_s_Country_Market-Bulls_Gap_Tennessee.html
The curry powder does not contain mustard powder, a fact that I appreciate.
Eat this curried tofu dish with
- Whole grain toast
- Wrapped in toasted sea weed sheets. (My favorite) 😋
- With roasted or steamed potatoes
- On top of a nice green salad!
- In a burrito or wrap sandwich
- Add leftovers and noodles to make a delicious soup
- Pretty much any way! I like curried tofu hot or cold!
While this is not particular spicy, if you prefer a milder tofu recipe, please see my original Homestead Tofu Breakfast Scramble recipe.