No problem, we are eating this for New Year’s Day, which is also already passed! For us, any day is a good day for lasagna!
Christmas or New Year’s Day—how about Lasagna?
We don’t generally eat the regular black eyed peas and collard greens on New Year’s Day. Only a few of our crew like those things. I happen to like both occasionally, but not better than lasagna!
Can you tell I grew up in the 80’s? I’m kind of like Garfield–it’s hard to beat a good lasagna!
So let’s dive right in!
Vegan Lasagna that even Garfield would be proud of!
Vegan Lasagna–Simple and Quick
There are a ton of variations of vegan lasagna, but this is going to be a super simple recipe. You can add in pretty much anything you like! Options include:
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Spinach or kale!
- Sliced onions
- Fresh herbs
Since the lasagna I make this time will be strictly for us vegan people, I’m making ours like I like it! There’s a cheesy, artery-clogging version on the table too, so I don’t have to worry about leaving out mushrooms for someone, or anything like that! I’m stuffing ours full of veggies! 🥦🥕 🍆
Don’t worry–Garfield! Vegan lasagna won’t clog your arteries! 💪🏼
You’re going to need a recipe of my
- Simple Vegan Cheese Sauce 🧀
- Pasta sauce
- Shredded Vegan Cheese if desired
- Lasagna noodles–any type! Use gluten free or whole wheat if you like!
- Veggie add-ins. Kale, eggplant, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, zucchini, etc!
- More spices–Garlic, Italian herbs, oregano, basil
- 1 Box uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 Recipe Simple Vegan Cheese Sauce https://www.ridgehavenhomestead.com/simple-vegan-cheese-sauce-recipe/
- 4 T Vegan Parmesan Cheese, Optional https://www.ridgehavenhomestead.com/vegan-parmesan-cheese-crumbles/
- 2 Blocks, 14-16 oz Tofu, firm or extra-firm Crumbled
- 2 Jars Favorite Spaghetti Sauce
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 T olive oil
- Assorted veggies as desired: Eggplant, mushrooms, garlic, broccoli, kale, spinach, in any combination.
- 1 Package plant based (vegan) cheese shreds, mozzarella style if desired
- 1-2 T Italian Seasoning, dried or fresh Or basil or oregano/thyme
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Cup water
- Lightly oil 9x13 deep dish pan with a little olive oil.
- Mix half the Vegan Cheese Sauce with the smashed tofu. Add Italian seasoning and 1 tsp salt.
- Sautée garlic, mushrooms, and chopped veggies until soft in olive oil over medium heat.
- Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of the pan. (This helps to keep it from sticking)
- Layer uncooked noodles, tofu, veggies, pasta sauce, cheese sauce and shreds, until you run out. Top with cheese sauce and shredded cheese.
- Add 1/2 c water (just pour around edges and let it fill in the cracks—omit if you precook noodles)
- Sprinkle herbs on top, if desired.
- Cover and bake at 350 for one hour, or until noodles are soft. Uncover for last 15 minutes of baking time.
- Add more water as needed if lasagna seems dry. Don’t add cold water to baking glass pan! It will explode!
- **May also refrigerate for up to 3 days and cook when needed**
Like all lasagnas, you can heat this up the next day for breakfast, or just eat it cold! It’s good any way you like it!
Just watch out for your cats in case they get a snack attack!
Just for fun, here are some gems from the world of our favorite cat, Garfield. You’ll find some unique and classic lasagna recipes, but you probably won’t find a vegan lasagna recipe in this book!