Copycat McKay’s Chicken Seasoning Recipe
In another post, I wrote a little bit about how I substitute my own recipe for Mock Chicken Seasoning for McKay’s Chicken Seasoning. I use this to flavor broths, gravies, and entrees that I want to remind us of a chicken flavor. This copycat McKay’s Chicken Seasoning is also used in the recipe I shared called Grandma’s Mock Chicken Loaf.
Why a substitute?
- One, for the COST. Prices for McKay’s Chicken Seasoning are skyrocketing like everything else! Why not make an economical option?
- Two, for the INGREDIENTS! I prefer vegan, aka no lactose. We don’t use MSG, and I really prefer for my seasonings to NOT CONTAIN SUGARS. Take all those things away, and you might as well make your own!
- Third, because I always seem to want to do it myself even if I can get it pre-made. Maybe I’m a glutton for more work, but I like to know I can do it myself!
It’s quick and easy, so why not?
Simply use as you would any broth or seasoning mix. Store in a jar or airtight container if you don’t want to be chipping at this stuff with a sharp knife until it runs out. I know you know what I’m taking about!
There are many similar recipes for McKays Chicken Seasoning. I think they will all come out pretty similarly, so choose the one that takes ingredients that you have or can easily obtain. I like to add the turmeric because it adds a little bit of a yellow color to my recipes.
Here you go!
Mock Chicken Seasoning, or Copycat McKay’s Chicken Seasoning Recipe
Mock Chicken Seasoning, Copycat McKay’s Chicken Seasoning
- 2 Cups nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/3 Cup Himalayan salt, or sea salt
- 1 1/2 Tbs onion powder
- 1 Tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbs parsley
- 3/4 Tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 Tsp celery seed
- 3/4 Tsp paprika
- 3/4 Tsp sage
- 1/3 Tsp marjoram, thyme, tarragon, and rosemary OR use: 1 Tsp Herbs de Provence
- 1/2 Tsp savory
- Combine all ingredients in blender with tight lid.
- Blend until fine
- May add another 2 tsp parsley flakes if desired.
That’s it! Simple!
We have missed the “Everything but the chicken” seasoning Trader Joe’s used to sell. I’m going to try this! Thank you!
I haven’t tried that one. But I do like this one.
I am a fan of McKays and have been looking for DIY options. I plan to try your recipe. Did you use fresh parsley? if so how much? if not what are the green leaves in the picture? Thanks for sharing.