Recipe for my mom’s Date Bars
Today I’m sharing a recipe for date bars that my mom made us many times growing up.
I just baked a batch to send to our oldest son, who’s away at academy. Care packages are always welcome, and comfort foods are the best!
To me a comfort food is something familiar, something that Mom or Grandma (or Dad) made that just feels like home. I hope it’s like that in my care packages too!
I know I always cherished the cookies my mom sent across the miles and across the ocean, even!
Now that I’m a mom, I understand that care packages are for moms too–something we can do to share a little bit of our heart and home across the miles when we can’t be there in person.
Here you go. Nothing complicated. Just old-fashioned goodness baked into a sweet treat.
And I’m gonna try a new plug-in for my recipe. We will see if it’s as easy as they claim, or if I stick with old-school typing it up on the blog font.
Date BarsPrint Recipe
Mom’s Date Bars
- 3 Cups Dates chopped
- 1/3 Cup Sugar, unrefined preferably
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Pure vanilla optional
- 3/4 Cup Vegan Butter
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 3/4 Cups Flour Any combination. I used Whole Wheat. Can use GF flour (rice, millet, premixed blend to make GF)
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Oats Quick, may add in a few rolled oats for texture
- Cook the first 3 ingredients until thickened, stirring constantly. I omit the sugar here, as the dates are plenty sweet, and I add Vanilla Let cool.Cream butter and brown sugar together. Stir in dry ingredients, then rolled oats. Press 1/2 of this mixture into a greased 9x13 pan.Add filling, smoothing it level. Use rest of dry mixture on top and press lightly. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cut while warm.
Ok—bear with me as I figure out the whole recipe app thing. Next time I’ll know to format it differently.
I hope you enjoy them!
I have several happy customers! But only one who sat still for long enough for me to catch!
For another recipe from my mom, check out her granola recipe, which I’ve shared below
What comfort foods make you feel loved?
What would you want to receive in a care package?
Leave me some ideas in the comments below!
Thanks for stopping by!